Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Tulsa

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or a fair distance demands a great deal of coordination along with organization, and many people fail to round up the appropriate records beforehand. Here is a short resource guide regarding the various significant documents that you will need no matter whether moving local or setting up a long-distance move to Tulsa.

Let's be honest, it's not like you have to have a passport and a work visa to relocate over the state line, but once you've gotten all your life records together to cross the border those are about the only items you don't need. And the way our minds function, you'd be ready to need all of this documentation for a cross-country move, but in the event that your move is geographically local--from Memphis only over the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it can come as a surprise that you'll require the many files.

These are the papers you're going to probably want to keep handy when moving, and approaches to get them should they have expired or perhaps you've lost your original copies.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses will not be suitable for federal identity for much longer, you'll still need a up-to-date one--you ought to have it in any case, but if it expired a couple weeks or maybe a long time ago and you figured since you are moving why bother, go make the effort. When you have to check in at the airport, reserve an automobile, open a bank account, or do life generally speaking, you have to have an up-to-date driver's license to do this. In case you are in a state in which you are unable to get your driver's license through the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, request a paper back up of the new driver's license to use in front of the printed version showing up in the mailbox; this is adequate ID for a couple of weeks.


Should you be moving for a new position, the probability is very good that you'll need to verify US citizenship prior to getting started. You can renew it by mail when you meet specified criteria--your name has not changed, your previous one had been issued no more than fifteen years previously, you were no less than sixteen at that time, amongst others--however otherwise, you'll have to apply for a new one in person. You may apply for an expedited passport if needed but be ready to spend an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everyone in your family for your move to Tulsa. If you're unable to put your hands on them and you live in the area or parish whereby they were all supplied, a simple visit to the county offices will handle it. If you were born in a different place, obtain the duplicate from that place. Every location is different, so consider an internet lookup pertaining to the county records the place you were born to obtain the precise details to acquire a certified copy of your certificate of a birth. There is usually a nominal cost involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a reproduction, follow the exact same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A family Bible or document from the religious organization is not a suitable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everyone in your family needs to have a social security number and a card; if you can't put your hands on them you will need to obtain replacements as soon as possible. You can begin the process online, and mail in the supporting papers, or you can visit the local Social Security Administration office with your papers. Copies--even notarized ones--won't be satisfactory. You need to have picture ID as well as evidence of citizenship, so take an active driver's license or passport, school, employee, or military ID card, or a health insurance card.

Vehicle Registration

You're going to need to register your vehicles in the new town and state, therefore bring your present registration cards along with proof of insurance to the area motor vehicles office as quickly as possible following your move to Tulsa. In a different state you'll get a new license plate and tag; if the move was intrastate your license plate and tag are acceptable, but your insurance premiums may change.

Health and Shot Documents

Should you have youngsters, their new schools will need evidence of immunization ahead of enrollment. Having copies of the many family medical files helps when you've got initial appointments with new health professionals.

Gather all your documents together as soon as you can in front of your move to Tulsa and keep them together. Given that you will need original documents of most items, just place everything in a file folder and keep it in hand or in a secure spot during the actual move--this is something you don't want to misplace.

If you are ready to move to Tulsa, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us right now to schedule your free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote