By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
If a move is coming, we know that you've got a ton in your head. From informing your friends and relatives to home shopping to acquiring a moving company in Tulsa, there’s no question about it that moving is a big task, that calls for a great deal of preparing and organization. Feeling somewhat stressed? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Our comprehensive moving guide offers exactly what you'll need for a smooth and successful move to Tulsa.
1. Go to your new town. Before choosing to move anywhere, it’s often a good notion to check out your new town. Without a doubt, you could head to all the tourist attractions, but don’t solely visit as a vacationer. Drive through neighborhoods. Notice where super markets, gas stations and schools happen to be. Consider your life and how it will shift to this all new location.
2. Examine schools. Whenever you happen to be touring your new town, identify the schools that your youngsters will be enrolled in. Look at the surrounding neighborhoods and in addition do some research online to see how the public schools rank and what private school choices are to be found in the community.
3. Produce a moving budget. Let’s be honest, moving isn’t inexpensive. Even DIY alternatives possess a large price. And should you be moving an extended distance, a professional mover in Tulsa will definitely make the job less difficult. Remember to incorporate some additional for unforeseen costs, because they frequently find a way to occur. In case you happen to be moving for a job, talk with your company to ascertain if any of your moving expenditures will be covered.
4. Look for a place to live. When you have children and have investigated what school you would like them to go to, the choices of a neighborhood in which to live have likely been refined some. However, regardless, a real estate agent can guide you through the house shopping process. A knowledgeable real estate professional will show you homes in your choice community and be able to answer any questions regarding the communities.
5. Research moving companies. Recruiting a good professional mover in Tulsa is crucial for your move. Do your research by reviewing Google reviews and also the BBB ratings. Talk to other individuals who have moved recently and find out what moving company they employed. Obtain several quotes from various movers to compare. Ask questions in case you don’t fully grasp anything on the quotation and make certain you're comparing apples-to-apples. Remember, when a quotation looks too good to be true, this is often a warning sign.
6. Decide on a moving date. If you are wanting to move in the middle of the the summer season, you will need to get with your moving company in Tulsa to verify your preferred dates as far in advance as possible. Summertime is known as peak season for moving, hence dates fill up swiftly. On the other hand, if you are planning to move in the winter or early spring, you will likely have your choice of dates and may even wind up paying less. You will regularly pay a premium for moving during peak season.
7. Get started collecting your moving supplies. By just accumulating cartons now, you could be a small step ahead when the time comes to pack. You can get boxes from your local moving company or from most big box retailers. Don’t neglect various other moving products, including tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, etc.
8. Have a strategy for packing. Prior to when you actually do any packing, come up with your plan. It may be beneficial to go through your items ahead of time and choose what you are likely to take with you and what you don’t require anymore. Have a yard sale or donate to a charitable organization the items you don’t wish to move. After that, you could start packing non-essential belongings such as basement and attic items and also out-of-season items. And then, move on to things that you won’t require for the subsequent month or so. Wait till the days leading up to moving day to pack items that you use frequently. Make certain and ask your moving company if there are things which they can’t haul in the moving van, such as live flowers, combustible things and perishable food. You should establish alternate plans for these things.
9. Pack your suitcases, also. If you are going to be on the road for several days along the way to your new residence, you will want apparel and toiletries for the adventure. Make certain and set aside anything that you will need as you go along to ensure that those items don’t mistakenly get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Establish travel arrangements. When you are driving to your new house, prepare your route and arrange your hotel rooms beforehand. Similarly, should you be flying, select your airline and get your tickets. Keep in mind that you might need to stay in a hotel for a few days in your new city if your stuff won’t be delivered immediately.
11. Transfer memberships as well as records. If you've got a fitness center or golf club membership, check into shifting them to your new location. Additionally, you can ask your child’s school to send their files to the new school as well as for your doctors and dental office.
12. Empty out your storage space. You should probably go ahead and go through your storage unit, as well, and get rid of all the things that you don’t need. Above that, make sure and alert the management of the unit that you'll be moving your stuff out and contact them for a second time once you've vacated the space.
13. Forward your mail. In recent times, it's easy to forward your snail mail to your new street address. Simply go on to the USPS webpage and submit the necessary information. This is a really straightforward step, but it’s commonly forgotten, so we wanted to mention it.
14. Check your moving date with your mover. You are likely to hear from your moving company in Tulsa several days or even a week before your move date, however if you haven’t, at this moment is a great time to go forward and get in touch with them and make sure that your move dates still match what they've got on their schedule for you. Last minute itinerary modifications aren't a good time for anybody, therefore it’s usually to your advantage to double check all the particulars to ensure everybody is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this action is essential since you don’t desire to be leaving your old residence in the dark or moving into your new house without heat or air conditioning. Make contact with your existing and future utility companies and figure out what you must do to be able to ensure a simple transition.
16. Coordinate a move-out cleaning. When you have got everything moved out of your old house, you will probably be too worn out to want to clean. There are cleaning services which focus on unoccupied homes so take into consideration hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let other folks know your new address. This measure could be completed when you reach your new home, too. However you'll want your family and friends to have your new address. Consider sending out a change of address card or at least an e-mail to let everyone know that you've moved.
18. Swap contact information with your moving van driver. When all things have been loaded up and the moving truck is getting ready to set off, be sure and ask the driver for the ETA to your new home and for his mobile phone number. Also provide him with your phone number. You need a means to keep in contact while everyone is traveling.
19. Schedule a handyman. Make sure and locate a reliable handyman once you move to assist with jobs such as switching out lighting fixtures, making common maintenance tasks or hanging items on the walls.
20. Register to vote and acquire a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration swiftly after you move is smart for you to vote in any approaching elections. Your community library or post office normally can offer more details of how to register. Likewise, attaining a new license is important once you've moved to a new state. Check out your local DMV webpage to make certain you have all of the required documentation before you decide to wait in line, because requirements are different from state to state.
Would you like to move?
A-1 Freeman Moving Group in Tulsa would like to assist. Merely get in touch now to get started with your zero cost in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote