Don’t let the “D” word frighten you! Yes, we are talking about Downsizing. When you are rationalizing moving in Tulsa, thoughts oftentimes come up about how many of your possessions you actually need. Surely, you will start pondering on some items you need to get rid of. You may ask oneself how to do it. You might contemplate who will take the stuff you want to rid yourself of. You might mull over if you will feel remorse about getting rid of some of your belongings.
How to decide what to discard:
There are gobs of considerations that you can go through when deciding what to discard. You should try to remember when you last used the item. If it has not seen the light of day in ten years, it is probably not something that you should keep. Think about if the item is still useful to you. If it is an article of clothing like a coat, put it on. If it doesn’t, toss it into the discard pile.
One important thing to refrain from is procrastinating about making decisions. Oftentimes, this will lead to you keeping more things than you should have. Go with your gut and decide expeditiously if you need to keep the item. Whenever there are memories tied to items it can be emotional to give them away, but the memories will remain even after the item has found a new home.
How to get rid of your discard pile in Tulsa:
- Garage Sale: This will take some effort but should also bring in a little money. The steps to having a successful garage sale is simple. First, check for any city ordinances in Tulsa and homeowner association rules to make sure that you abide by them. Next, price your items a fair price, especially if you would just give them away for nothing otherwise. Next, advertise your sale. You need to have signs situated nearby that will lead shoppers to your location. It may be helpful to submit advertisements online to lead more people to your sale. Finally, sit back and enjoy making a little money while visiting with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more detailed step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in Tulsa.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your things, donating your items to a charity in Tulsa is a super way to do that. You will help a valuable cause. You will also help the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, simple way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some organizations will even come and pick your donation up from your residence.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just starting out, asking if they need any items would be a exceptional thing to do Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you will be surprised about what people request. It will give you pleasure to give someone something that they can use.
- Consider a storage solution in Tulsa: There will be some things that you will not want to get rid of. If there is no room for them in your next location, consider renting a storage unit. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for day-to-day living. If a storage unit is not in the budget, consider if any family or friends would be willing to keep items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some things in your residence might be organized more effectively. For example, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and put them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are using down, while allowing you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to prepare for a move will take work. Think of all the time that it took to accumulate everything you own. Yet, once you have downsized successfully you will be glad that you did it. You will be able to focus your time on the things you truly care about and have uses for.