Tulsa Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Tulsa

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either nearby or across the country requires a lot of coordination as well as organization, and a lot of people fail to locate the correct papers beforehand. The following is a quick reference guideline for many of the significant records that you will need whether moving local or setting up a long-distance move to Tulsa.

Truth be told, it isn't like you must have a passport plus a work visa to relocate over the state line, but after you have gotten all your life records together to cross the border those are close to the only items you don't need. And how our minds operate, you'd be ready to need all of this certification for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically local--from Memphis merely beyond the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it can come as a surprise that you need all those documents.

These are the records you'll more than likely have to keep nearby while moving, and approaches to acquire them if they have expired or maybe you could have misplaced your original copies.

Driver's License

Despite the fact that driver's licenses will not be suitable for federal identification for much longer, you will still have to have a active one--you ought to have it in any case, however if it expired a couple weeks or perhaps a few months before and you thought since you are moving why take the time, go take the time. When you have to sign in at the airport, reserve a car, open up a bank account, or execute life in general, you should have a current license to do so. If you are in a state where you are unable to get a driver's license from the local Tag Agency same day, request a paper back up of the new license to make use of ahead of the hard copy arriving in the mail; this is satisfactory identification for around three weeks.


Should you be moving for a new position, the probability is very good that you'll need to prove US citizenship before you get started. You'll be able to renew it by mail if you meet specific factors--your name hasn't changed, your last one had been issued no more than fifteen years previously, that you were a minimum of sixteen during the time, among others--however if not, you should make application for a new one in person. It is possible to apply for an expedited passport if necessary but expect you'll pay an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everyone in your family for your move to Tulsa. If you're unable to put your hands upon your original copies and you live in the area or parish in which they were all issued, a quick journey to the county offices will handle it. If you had been born in a different place, obtain the reproduction via that area. Every place is different, thus consider an online investigation for the county records where you were born to obtain the precise details to acquire a certified copy of your birth record. There is commonly a nominal charge involved.

Marriage License

If you need a copy, observe the very same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A household Bible or even document from your church will not be a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your household needs to have a social security number and a card; if you can't put your hands on them you'll want to acquire replacements as quickly as possible. You can start the task online, and also mail in the supporting documents, or you could visit the closest Social Security Administration office with your papers. Copies--even notarized ones--aren't acceptable. You'll need picture identification and verification of citizenship, therefore take an active driver's license or passport, school, employee, or military identification card, or a medical insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You'll have to register your automobiles with your new community and state, so take the current registration cards along with evidence of insurance to the area BMV as soon as possible after your move to Tulsa. In a different state you'll get a different license plate and tag; if your move was within the same state your license plate and tag are fine, however your insurance charges may change.

Health and Immunization Records

If you've got youngsters, their new schools will need proof of immunization in advance of enrollment. Possessing copies of all the household medical documents will help when you've got initial consultations with new health professionals.

Gather all of your files together as swiftly as you can ahead of your move to Tulsa and keep them together. Considering that you need to have original copies of many things, simply put everything in a file folder and keep it along with you or in a secure place over the actual move--this is one thing you don't want to lose.

If you are ready to move to Tulsa, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Speak to us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)