The Best Way to Move a Piano Without a Moving Company
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Employing professional movers in Tulsa is always the recommended choice; however you may be able to move the piano without their help, given you have the proper equipment, and a sufficient number of helpers. In the event you decide to go the Do-it-Yourself route, below are the guidelines you ought to be aware of:
What to Do Before Moving the Piano
Relocating a piano necessitates some serious prepatory work. Here are a few of the main things to plan before you start moving one:
- Gather the right moving supplies and materials. For example, you must have plenty of moving blankets available to protect the piano throughout the relocation. You’ll want a dolly sufficient for handling the piano's weight. If you have a grand piano, you will additionally need to rent a piano skid board from a local moving company. (Do not be shocked if you wind up shelling out hundreds of dollars to use one!)
- Assemble a team. At the bare minimum, you ought to have 4 strong, capable people there to help you with the move. It's more ideal when you can recruit friends or family members who have experience moving heavy things. Make certain to have a supply of pizza available for "motivation!"
- Measure the appropriate passages. It is critically significant to measure the passageway through which your piano will be transported before the actual move. You don't want to get your piano jammed in an awkward spot, and take the risk of damaging it while you make an effort to get it out!
What to Do While Moving the Piano
Listed here are a few key items you don’t want to forget through the actual move. These include the following:
- Wrap the piano keys, pedals, lid, and body up tightly with protective materials (e.g., bubble wrap, foam packing sheets, blankets, etc.).
- Arrange the moving crew in position to lift the piano. Be sure they all lifts in unison, on cue. Another person (or two) must be prepared to slide the dolly underneath the piano.
- Once the piano is securely on the dolly, slowly guide it out of your residence and into the moving van. Be careful passing through doorways, navigating around corners and going down staircases. (If possible, utilize a ramp when moving your piano up or down stairs.)
- When you unload the piano on the moving truck, make sure at least one person is in front of the piano, and is able to control it during the lift to remove the dolly.
What to Do After Moving the Piano
For those who had to take apart the piano to move it (for example, by removing the legs), then ask your moving team to to aid in reassembling it after it's been carefully relocated. Wipe the piano down with a soft cloth or feather duster to eliminate any amassed dust and think about wiping down the exterior with a mild solution of soap and water. (It’s definitely wise to leave the interior to a professional piano cleaning company.)
As you can tell, moving a piano without the assistance of a professional moving company in Tulsa necessitates much planning, coordination, and hard work. The suggestions listed here are only the tip of the iceberg!
If you reach the conclusion that it may be advisable to leave a move of this magnitude to professional movers in Tulsa, contact our team of friendly experts at the A-1 Freeman Moving Group today to go over the specifics.
Request a free quote